We're surveying some of the coolest guys we know about life as a modern dad.
Wang, writer, illustrator, and professor of writing
Kids: Zadie (4) & Zoe (2)
Find me online: mycozyclassics.com
1. My parenting superpower: I can build a playhouse. The one I built last summer (above) has been a big hit.
2. A myth about modern dads:That we don’t struggle with the work/home life balance. Dads today do a lot of things that weren’t expected of previous generations of fathers, but what’s expected of us outside the home hasn’t changed that much. So it can be as big a challenge to “have it all” for men as it is for women.
3. My favorite toy from childhood: Other dads have said it, but I also had a lot of Star Wars action figures and play sets growing up. The old school kind. I wish I still had them.
4. My favorite children's book: One of my favorites is The Little Matador by Julian Hector. It’s about a little boy who's born into a family of bullfighters. He's expected to follow the family tradition, but all he wants to do is draw. It's about letting your children become whatever they want to be.
5. A song I'll be really bummed if my kids don't end up loving: The four of us have dance parties all the time, so the kids are already awash in our favorites, including “Little Red Corvette” by Prince (my wife’s) and “Town Called Malice” by The Jam (mine).
6. A website or blog I visit regularly: I’m my children’s official photo-documentarian, so I’m a regular on Flickr.
7. A product I would recommend to another dad: Cozy Classics, of course! It’s never too early to start your kids on the classics.
8. A question I hope my kids never ask me: Can you watch [insert grandchild’s name here] while I go to prom?
9. My favorite way to spend a few hours with my kids: Give us a playground and we’ll have a ball.
10. A parenting trick that works for me and not for my wife: I can be both sillier and sterner than my wife, depending on what’s called for.