- Los Angeles, CA
- Square Feet:
- What I Love About My Small Home:
- I love that it's a small, stand-alone house in a larger courtyard complex. I love the walkway outside, full of orange trees and roses. I love that I can hang out in different rooms for different moods, but that I can see the whole space all at once from the middle of the apartment. It's a perfect size for me, even though my love of stuff might be stretching its limits, and definitely its wall space.
- Three of My Best Tips and Tricks for Creating a Successful Small Space::
- 1. Curate. If you have a small space, and you love stuff, you can enjoy objects and circulate them as you try new things without letting them overwhelm you or your space. This also allows you to continue to perfect your space as you find the right items that you want to keep forever.
2. Layer. I'm admittedly a maximalist, and my space might feel overwhelming to some, but if you do it right, it isn't clutter, but interesting layers of things to look at all stacked and overlapped and juxtaposed in a way that feels beautiful and purposeful, cozy and welcoming.
3. Love your things. If everything you keep has a story and a meaning or an aesthetic that really speaks to you, your home will feel personal, unique and eclectic. Don't buy things just to fill space, but rather wait to find things you really love. It took me 8 months sitting on a futon on the floor before I found a sofa I loved, but it was worth the wait.